2005-07-15

Monergism.com

Not only did we meet publishers face to face but met a large number of authors who were signing their new books. Among those we met were C.J. Mahaney, R.C. Sproul and Ray Comfort. It was an honor and a privilege to spend some time chatting with all of them. Dr. Sproul was there promoting his new Reformation Study Bible and I had the opportunity to explain how great an influence his book Willing to Believe had on launching Monergism.com more than four years ago. He has left a great legacy, one for which I am thankful to God. I explained that his ministry had especially been used by God to open my eyes to the importance of the work of the Holy Spirit in our salvation. He said, “You know, John Calvin was actually known as the theologian of the Holy Spirit.” Yes indeed, we delight in emphasizing the Holy Spirit, who brings glory to Christ, but has been left out of so many modern evangelical sermons in any meaningful way. I left him with some of my bookmarks and I could see his eyes light up when he saw that it was called “Monergism” since he himself has worked tirelessly to promote the Augustinian view of God’s work of grace changing men’s hostile disposition that, in His great mercy, we may believe.

This is what I'm really on about when I talk about Monergism and the work of the Holy Spirit through the preaching and teaching of the Word and Gospel (outlined below). As I was making these great discoveries a number of years ago, I stumbled upon John Hendryx's Monergism website. It was a great blessing to discover that someone else had been discovering the same thing at around the same time. I commend his work to you all.

The quote above is part of an article that Hendryx wrote about the Christian publishing industry. If you are sick of walking into That Christian Bookshop and seeing all the junk, the article will explain how the Christian publishing industry is making some very large salient oversights. Read the rest of the article here.

From the Theosalient Department

No comments: