2007-07-17

Geoff Lawson to coach Pakistan

An interesting choice.

I remember back in the late 1980s when I used to go watch Sheffield Shield matches at the SCG that Geoff Lawson was one of the players there. There are two things I remember about him:

1. NSW vs West Indies, 12 November 1988. Last ball of the day was a bouncer from Lawson to West Indian legend Viv Richards, who was 35 not out at the time. The bouncer almost decapitated Richards and, in his efforts to evade the ball, managed to fall to the ground. It was a great ball and the crowd loved it. Richards survived it, however, and scored 101 the following day - his 100th hundred. Lawson took 5/69

2. Hard to tell which match this was - probably the same day as above. NSW were batting and I was sitting in the Ladies stand. In those days they opened up the Ladies stand for general attendance, which was great because you could sit really close to the NSW dressing rooms. What I remember most was Geoff Lawson walking around wearing nothing but a T-shirt and undies. I wonder if he'll encourage that in the Pakistani dressing room?


No comments: